The Abbey Cinema, Theatre & Community Arts Centre
In 2005 the Abbey Centre received Community Arts Status and is now classed as Community Arts Centre for South Donegal by Donegal County Council. The Centre’s broadly based artistic programme includes locally generated theatre, music, variety, community and youth performance, music education as well as visiting performance groups.
Theatre: The Abbey Centre houses two theatre performance spaces
The Rory Gallagher: A fine spacious auditorium, theatre 1 has a seating capacity of 280.
Theatre 3: An intimate theatre with a seating capacity of up to 80 people – perfect for small-scale productions or amateur theatre groups.
The Theatre provides dressing and shower rooms as well as a spacious green room for visiting performers.
Our Film Club meets the second Wednesday of every month for a world cinema viewing session. Please see further details below .....
Our glass fronted spacious reception & foyer areas form an exhibition space. Artists interested in exhibiting in The Abbey Centre are welcome to send details of your work to the Administrator, The Abbey Community Arts Centre, Tirconnaill St, Ballyshannon.
The Abbey Centre has full facilities for people with disabilities including designated seating in the auditorium and theatre 3, lift and specially adapted WC.
Arts Training - Workshops
The Centre provides workshop space in the form of the Green Room and the White Room.
The Abbey School of Acting: One hour Drama classes for youth are provided by experienced local dramatists/actors during the school term, usually between 3:30 – 5:30pm.
Static Dance Group: Youth can avail of modern & hip-hop dance classes every Saturday morning in the White Room from 10am – 2pm (split into age categories).
For more details on drama or dance classes contact the Abbey Centre by phone or call up to the office.
Local music tutors make use of the workshop space and the grand piano in the Centre for their music lessons to aspiring musicians of all ages.
Annual Ballyshannon Arts Events
- Ballyshannon Musical Society Production (1st week of March)
- Ballyshannon Drama Festival (approx. 17th – 25th March)
- Ballyshannon Folk and Traditional Music Festival (1st weekend in August)
- Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival (June)
- Summer arts workshops (July & August)
- Donegal Bay & Blue Stacks Festival (various arts performances – see festival programme for details), funded by Donegal County Council Festival (Sept- Oct)
- Ballyshannon Carnival Parade (organisational base as part of Donegal Bay & Blue Stacks Festival – 1st weekend in October)
- Allingham Literary Festival – workshops & poetry competitions
For information on forthcoming events in the Abbey Centre please contact us in the office on 0719851375 or join our electronic mailing list at firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Line: 0719851375